Monday, June 4, 2007

Switching Lines

Everyone that grew up in Israel associates airports with security, long before 9/11 and long before airports in Europe and in the US became security freaks. No one really understands the dangerous effect of lip gloss and toothpaste but it is just another ritual one has to go on his (or mainly her) via dolorosa to window seat 22A. Long before it has all begun travelers to and from Israel had to go through what then considered rough security checks. As an Israeli I went through the “fast track” seeing foreigners being pulled out of the line for in-depth inspection. I felt pity for them, but at the same time was glad to know we’re traveling safely.

When I first traveled to the US after 9/11 I’ve been told that I was selected randomly for in-depth inspection. I though it makes sense. I was happy to know we’re traveling safely. The second time, the third time, the forth time and so made it sound less reliable. I became this foreigner that is being pulled out of the line.

On my way here from NY this week I think it was the worse I had. While I was asked to wait on a certain spot to be searched, I saw a security woman, standing probably 5m (16ft) from where I stood, opening my bags and pulling my personal stuff, all on the x-ray examination conveyer in front of many other people that by-pass her. I felt really bad. Every by-passer could look into my suitcase and see my personal staff while I wasn’t allowed to get closer and I practically couldn’t be sure she got everything back in place with so many people picking up their stuff from exactly the same spot. There I suddenly remembered those foreigners pulled out of the line in Israel. It is a good perspective of how we treat others and how we should treat them.

Redwood City, CA

No comments: