Thursday, May 31, 2007

Being Ninet Tayeb

A couple of days ago, my friend Mayorca, her sister Pillar and I went to see a concert of Ninet Tayeb. Ninet Tayeb won the first season of the Israeli "Pop Idol" and practically became one. Since her win, four years ago, her popularity among diversify audience, including people of different ages, background and music taste, has not faded, not even slightly.

When the concert was over we headed our car. Still inspired by what we have just seen we sang the encore song to ourselves and started a chat about Ninet, providing our critique on the concert with the addition of a few personal notes. While talking we noticed that at the darkness of the car not far from us set Ninet, probably waiting for her crew to get done with the stage before they can move on. Although we did not say anything negative I felt slightly embarrassed.

I wonder how it feels to be exposed to the critique of hundreds of thousands, or even millions, feeling pretty comfortable to express their opinion on matters they really know nothing about (just like us on the personal life of Ninet). Don’t get me wrong here, I do believe that providing our critiques on the concert is fair, relevant and probably interesting for Ninet, however a comment about the personal life is another issue. Many people will say that when Ninet chosen to be popular she accepted the “side effect” of people browsing her life. I believe it is true to certain extend, but sometime I believe that “the public” abuse this excuse, allowing itself to cross the border between legitimate interest and shallow gossip. In our conversation after the concert I don’t think we crossed this border, but I wonder how Ninet felt when she heard us making comments on her personal life. If I were her I would not like it probably, to say the least.

Ninet’s site on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/tayebninet

Tel Aviv, Israel

No comments: